Falling in Love With My Ex-fiancé's Grandfather
Lucky Canary Luca
Once Upon a Magpie
*Please note that in the event that there are no finalists that reach our standards, some prizes may remain unclaimed.
We are pleased to welcome some of Japan's most popular creators to serve as "Supporters" to encourage your creative activities!
What is a Supporter?
We have introduced a new "Supporter" system, in which top Japanese creators will support fledgling manga artists who are looking to take their artistic expression to the next level. Supporters will offer further guidance to the winners for their debut.
More updates will be released in due course!
Illustrator/Character Designer. Representative works: Shakugan no Shana series and Haruhi Suzumiya series.
Author. Representative works: Rascal Does Not Dream series.
Manga artist. Representative works: Sgt. Frog.
Prizes for each language
Translation and Publication Award in Japan
The"Translation and Publication Award" prize will be awarded to three submissions from the five eligible languages (English, Simplified Chinese, Traditional Chinese, Thai, Malay). These works will be translated and published in Japanese.
*We have renamed the prizes from “First place,” “Second place,” and “Third place” to “Gold prize,” “Silver prize,” and “Bronze prize” for consistency with the awards in other languages.
・Each winning entry will be serialized as a vertical scrolling comic. Furthermore, our editors will give advice on how to bring the work to its full potential.
・In the case that a winning entry is unfit for serialization, we will support the author in distributing another work from their portfolio, including the possibility of producing a brand new work with the help of our editor.
・In the event that there are no entries that reach our standards, some prizes may remain unclaimed.
・The prizes are based in USD and will be deposited into your account with KADOKAWA WORLD ENTERTAINMENT, Inc.*1) and its subsidiaries (hereafter the "Company"), if your entry is chosen for an award. In the case that you wish to receive the prize money in a currency other than USD, the money will be transferred to the currency of your choosing according to the exchange rate in the month that you are awarded the prize. Exchange fees and other banking fees may be deducted from your prize money. Each prize winner is responsible for paying taxes on their prize money in accordance with their local laws. Payment details (including, but not limited to, tax deductions on prizes) shall be discussed in detail at a later time with the Company.
Award winners in each eligible language are guaranteed electronic serialization and an editor to help you along the way!
The winner of the Translation and Publication Award in Japan will have their work translated into Japanese and will be guaranteed electronic serialization in Japan!
There are no restrictions based on experience or age! Apply solo or as a team/corporation for a chance to win one of our prizes!
The award ceremony will be held in Japan and each Gold prize winner from every language will be invited to participate in person!
Our support doesn't end there! We'll be unveiling more and more opportunities for the winners as the competition goes on!
The 1st TATESC Comics Global Awards Jury, consisting of editors from KADOKAWA GROUP publishers in each language.
The selection process will begin after the application deadline. The winning entries will be selected after the first two rounds of selections and the finals.
*Schedule may vary depending on the selection process.
Finalists will be announced on a special website in October 2023.
The final selection results will be announced on a special website in November 2023 along with the award-winning works in each language and the "Translation and Publication Award" for works selected for translation and distribution in Japan.
The award ceremony will be held in December 2023 in Japan (location to be determined, it will take place in or near Tokyo).
Anyone may apply regardless of their experience, nationality, or age. We accept team and corporate applicants as well.
(Individuals, teams, or corporations whose works are currently serialized in magazines or websites from KADOKAWA Group companies, as well as applicants whose works were serialized in KADOKAWA Group magazines or website and published between January 1, 2020 and August 31, 2023, may not apply.)
*TATESC COMICS Global Awards accepts entries in 6 different languages: Japanese, English, Simplified Chinese, Traditional Chinese, Malay, and Thai. Please note that the receiving address for applications is different for each language. One work cannot be submitted in multiple different languages.
*Minors may apply, but a parent or guardian (legal representative) must also be present at the time of application, will read these application guidelines, and will fill out a consent form before submitting your entry. Upon completion of the application, the applicant will be deemed to have obtained the consent of their parents or guardians to the terms and conditions.
*Teams and corporations may only enter if they have legitimate legal rights to the submitted work.
File format and image size
●Grayscale, binary images, and progressive JPEGs will not be accepted.
●Images must be saved with sRGB color profiles embedded.
●Both monochrome and colored works are permitted, but we recommend using colors that are optimized for vertical scroll comic viewing on smartphones.
●Entries must be serialized, however, they do not need to be complete at the time of application.
●You will not be immediately disqualified if image sizes do not match our guidelines. Make sure to save your work files and layered data, as you'll be asked to resize them for serialization.
- ●Handling of Award-Winning Entries
- ・The prize winners agree in advance to grant the Company an exclusive license to the prize-winning work. This agreement is valid either when the Company contacts them about their placement, or at the date of the official results announcement, whichever comes first. The license may be used for the translation, adaptation, distribution, or other use of the work in book, e-book, novel, animation, live-action film, game, merchandise, digital product, and other forms, and includes the right to sublicense the work to third parties (same applies hereafter).
- ・The prize winners rescind all rights to use their work themselves without the prior written consent of the Company or to allow any third party besides the Company to use the entry without the prior written consent of the Company.
- ・The prize winners agree in advance that they will enter into an agreement with the Company regarding the use of the prize-winning work. In the case that the prize winner does not enter into such agreement, the award will be revoked. If the prize-winning work is used, the Company will pay a sum of money to the prize winner as compensation for the rights to use the prize winning work. The prize money will be used to fund the use of the prize-winning work.
- ・We accept submissions available on non-profit websites, personal websites, and fan works as long as they have not been officially published. However, we ask you to remove your work from any such platforms once we have decided to distribute it.
- ・We accept submissions available on for-profit websites as long as the rights to the work belong to the applicant. However, we ask that you remove your work from such platforms once we have decided to distribute it.
- ・Please refrain from submitting your work to other contests at the same time. If you're found to have submitted your work to another contest, you will be disqualified.
- ・Applicants may submit more than one work, however, they must be submitted independent from one another. Translations of the same work in multiple languages are not allowed.
- ・The winning entries will be published by the Company. Any subsequent sublicense or third party use will be subject to the terms and conditions of the contract with the Company.
- ・Upon submitting their application, the applicant agrees that their work does not infringe upon the copyrights, other rights, or interests of any third party of any kind.
- ・Works that include excessive sexual or cruel descriptions or depictions, infringe or are likely to infringe upon the copyright or other rights or interest (including parodies and imitations), slander specific individuals or groups, are offensive to public morals, violate the application guidelines, or are deemed unsuitable by the judges will be disqualified from the competition.
- ・In the event that any facts are discovered after the results are selected that would disqualify a prize winner from the competition (including cases in which a minor has failed to obtain parental consent), the award will be revoked and the prize money, along with any and all other prizes must be returned to the Company.
- ・We will not be able to respond to inquiries regarding the selection process.
- ・In the event that the applicant causes damage to the Company or any other third party as a result of violating these guidelines, the applicant will be required to compensate for the damages.
- ・The Company may change the contents of the application guidelines without prior consent from the applicants. In the event of any changes to the application guidelines, the Company will post the timing and the details of the change to The 1st TATESC Comics Global Awards website.
- ・The Company shall not be responsible for any loss or damages incurred by the entrant, unless the loss or damages can be attributed to the Company. In no event shall the Company be liable for any indirect damages, loss of profits, attorney fees or similar damages to the entrant, and shall only be compensated for damages incurred in direct connection with the competition, unless in the case of gross negligence on the Company's part.
- ・These Application Guidelines shall be governed and construed in accordance with the laws of New York State. New York State Courts shall have exclusive jurisdiction of the first instance over all disputes arising out of or in connection with this agreement.
*1)KADOKAWA WORLD ENTERTAINMENT is a KADOKAWA group company established in the US, pursuing an aggressive, multifaceted strategy to activate more of its content through publishing and digital distribution.